Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Handwritten with love......

Photo Credit: ohdeedoh.com

Photo Credit: ffffound.com

  A couple of months ago, I heard that Indiana's Department of Education (and other school systems across the country) would begin making cursive writing optional starting with the Fall Semester 2011. My first thought was "Are you kidding me" ?  I loved learning cursive writing in school.  I still love to write. I love looking at writing.

  The original focus of this post was to be calligraphy.  Then, I remembered what I had heard - that cursive writing will probably soon be eliminated from school curriculum's. The plan is to focus more on the students' keyboard usage.  Given the fact that most students own or have access to computers, this is probably good choice, but it still makes me sad. I hope parents will teach their kids cursive writing even if the schools won't.

  The funny (peculiar - not haha funny) thing is - I don't really write in cursive. As I was writing this post, I looked around my office and noticed that most of my notes and comments on papers weren't in cursive. They are print with the letters connecting.  They are connecting because I was in a rush to complete my note.

  Beginning today, I am going to honor cursive writing by actually using it on my notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?