Pages

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Tea time


I found this great tea magazine at Lowe's Hardware - IKR? Perfect timing as I am planning my annual High Tea. 

I can remember drinking tea with my Mama Bessie years ago. She always added sugar and milk to hers. Something about hers tasted so much better than any I have ever had or made. I'm sure it was the love and the fact that I was able to spend the time with her. I don't recall ever having any sandwiches with the tea, but I am sure we ate something. 

I also remember playing with those cute little porcelain tea sets. Seems I always had one in my room and I loved playing with it. 

Fast forward to 17 years ago… My friend, DA, suggested we do a High Tea at the Canterbury Hotel in downtown Indy. Sure - why not?  We grabbed about 35 of our closest friends and crowded into the small area for High Tea. While it was fun, it wasn't the peaceful serene time that I feel tea time should be. 

My annual High Tea has evolved over the years. I have found a small group of ten works best.  There are 3 members who have been with me from the beginning. We had four, but one of the ladies moved to Chicago. We have new members who have been with me for quite some. The biggest hit of the annual High Tea is the tea cup exchange.

When I travel, I always like to try High Tea - if it's an option. To date, the High Tea at the Drake hotel in Chicago is my favorite. Gorgeous flowers and classical music played by a harpist create a serene scene. The tea sandwiches and selection of teas is also wonderful. The best? It's only $45/pp.  


TRADITIONAL

AFTERNOON TEA

Finger Sandwich Selection

Crab Salad Tartlet 
Pesto Chicken
on herb gougere
Roast Beef,
provolone cheese, horseradish cream on potato bread
Cucumber & Tomato,
on white bread


Seasonal Pastry Petit Fours

selection of seasonal pastries handcrafted by Pastry Chef Bruno Bell Alves
English Scones & Mini Seasonal Loaf
accompanied by preserves, lemon curd and English double Devon cream
~ 45 per person ~
 

enhance your experience with...

The Palm Court Mimosa Package | $25

a glass of sparkling wine | 7
a glass of La Marca Prosecco | 10
a glass of Domaine Chandon Brut | 12
a bellini | 13
a mimosa | 13
 



Do you drink tea? Have you enjoyed High tea or afternoon tea anywhere super special?  I'd love to hear about it. Please leave a comment below…….

2 comments:

What's on your mind?