Pages

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Travel Log: Maui (Old Lahaina Luau

What can I say? The Old Lahaina Luau was even better than I envisioned.  Colorful, rich with the history of the Hawaii island, gorgeous men and women dancers, delicious food.

I planned our luau for the last day of the trip - mostly because I wasn't sure what my friends schedule would look like the rest of the week. Typically, conferences wrap up early the last day. So, it was a pretty safe bet to schedule it then.

I reserved  the Old Lahaina Luau months in advance because it sells out fast. I am so glad I did. There wasn't an empty seat in the place. Wanting a authentic feel, we opted for the traditional seating. Traditional seating is on the ground with a cushion. I would not suggest this if you have a bad back.  I am glad we did it though. We were front and center!

You should plan to arrive 45 minutes to an hour before your reservation.  There is some parking on the same side as the luau. You can also park in the parking lot of the Old Cannery Mall which is just across the street.

The luau is located on the water with grassy and sandy areas perfect for picture taking. Just before  you walk in you will be greeted with a friendly smile and a tuberose flower for the ladies. Place on your left ear if you are taken and your right ear of you are available. The smell of tuberose is intoxicating. I plan to have lots of turberose in my floral rotation this spring and summer.




As you enter the luau grounds, you will be given a gorgeous dendrobium orchid lei. I am an orchid freak and couldn't wait to get one around my neck! Next up - your choice of mai tai or a juice. We opted for the mai tai because of course you should - you are in Hawaii after all.

Shortly before we were to go to our tables, two of the guys unveiled our main meat for the night. The roasted pig.  I was a little leary about eating pork that was cooked with the head attached. The good thing is when it was unveiled, you couldn't see anything but tender meat that had fallen off the bone.
Yep, think I'll have some now! I am so glad I did - it was superb!



Our server was amazing. He took care of our every need. The couple seated across from us were from Indy as well. What are the chances? They had been to this luau FIVE times! They said it was the best they have seen.

After  getting our food from the buffet, we ordered some pinepapple drink which was delicious!
The buffet was full of fresh fruits, poke, chicken fish, veggies and of course our friend, Piggy.

Once we finished eating as much as we could, the show began. What an amazing show! The narrator was animated and the dancers were out of this world. I loved the story they told of the island of Maui.


What an amazing end to a wonderful trip. Thanks again to my friend G for sharing this trip with me..........

This is not the end of my Maui travel log. I have much more to share. Be sure to come back for more!

Aloha!






No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?